Tuesday 7 January 2020

Saturday Jobs. A Useful Experience?

A Think Tank this week has said that teenagers and students in the UK are no longer interested in having a Saturday job.  This tends to mean that they have nothing on their CV when applying for employment.  I suppose the demise of reading a daily newspaper (my son delivered newspapers in the snow), and the High Streets not doing well, will mean a lack of Saturday jobs.

When I was 14 and living in Kuwait, I got myself a job as a cleaner for two American engineers.  The two men were very untidy and I would face a sink full of burnt pans to start my cleaning session. 

On my return to the UK I took an exam to enter college aged 15, with the 18 year olds.  My 18 year old class mates seemed very sophisticated to me, all wearing the latest fashion and lots of make up.  I got a job in The Scotch Wool Shop in Southend-on-Sea, Essex.  I had to refold the beautiful jumpers after customers took them off the shelves to try for size.  I had never had to stand up all day before and ended my first day feeling really weak and ill. 

My next job was for Woolworths where I had to wear a green overall, smelling of body odour.  Yuck.  I sold cigarettes, shampoo, sanitary towels (lady's would whisper they wanted ST's and a plain paper wrapping.  I had to restock from an enormous warehouse above the store.  This involved carrying boxes of shampoo sachets and displaying them.  Some of my friends worked in Marks and Spencer and I was a little envious as the job seemed easier and more prestigious.

When I reached 18, I had been in full time work in The City of London for two years and worked at the weekends as a waitress or barmaid for extra money.  Being a waitress was very tiring and the staff food, left a lot to be desired, a tin of cold beans eaten from the can.

I found being a barmaid quite pleasant, even though we had to add up drinks, sandwiches, crisps for a party of 10, in our head.  No fancy tills to work it out for us then.

No comments:

Post a Comment