Thursday 14 July 2016

Fried Halloumi Cheese With Sesame Seeds and Za'atar

Fried halloumi cheese with sesame seeds

The reason I'm so big on sesame seeds at the moment is I've broken my shoulder and arm and the prognosis wasn't good.  Will never be the same or swim the butterfly so now butter and cream are no longer baddies I'm upping my intake as well as sesame seeds as they are a bone building food.  I'm tiring a little of tinned sardines and salmon as I was eating them daily but maybe it is time for moderation as I broke my arm in early May.  The latest x-ray shows it is healing well but the surgeon thought recovery time would be 9 months.  Yawn, sorry readers if you reached this far.

Ingredients
1 packet of Cypriot halloumi cheese
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
A couple of teaspoons of za'atar
A packet of pita bread

In a small frying pan, put the olive oil to warm gently.  Cut the cheese into thick slices (generally you will get 4-6 slices from one packet, so double up if you have a lot of mouths to feed).  Fry the cheese for about 3-4 minutes each side, meanwhile sprinkling with the za'atar.

Because halloumi cheese is rather salty, I skip the usual salt from the ingredients and pepper?  That's up to you.  Serve with pita bread (brown or white) to your taste.

P.S. Za'atar means thyme in English and I believe I used one with sumac and sesame seeds added.  Check Wikipedia for the full story and health enhancing properties of Za'atar.

No comments:

Post a Comment